Monday, August 27, 2012

Timing

Provided by: tmlights.com
One thing that I have been thinking a lot about over the course of the last several weeks is the question of timing.  When doing something new, timing is perhaps one of the most difficult questions to answer.  Often times, when the government works on a new construction project, the project is completed late, and over budget.  Also, new product roll-outs for companies are routinely delayed and pushed back.  Then there are the numerous explorers and adventurers over the centuries who expeditions took longer, and were more difficult than they anticipated.

Timing is a difficult question to answer, and it is one that I am facing right now with my blog.  As many of you know, I was originally hoping to go to Mexico this fall.  While I have talked to people individually, I wanted to officially announce on this blog that this plan has been delayed, at least for one year.  I want you to understand that I am not disappointed, dismayed, or discouraged by this turn of events.  In some ways it was expected.

Mexico was a dream that is still very much alive in my heart and mind.  This is not the end!  On the contrary, one thing that I discovered is that in order to make Mexico happen, there was something else that need to happen first: training.  Through talking to family, friends, and leaders in my life, I realized that I need to finish my education before I stepped out on the mission field.  I have one more year of bible college before I have my bachelors degree, and I need to talk advantage of this opportunity.  In looking at my life and the direction that it is headed, not only will this education be vital in fulfilling my mission in life, but it is likely my last opportunity of complete it.  I am not getting any younger, and my life is moving so quickly right now, that must take this chance to finish college while the door is still open.

With that said, something I want to say to all of you is: don't be afraid of detours.  Yes, it seems glamorous and romantic to drop everything and run after a dream without any inhibitions, but how effectively will you accomplish your goal?  The position I am in right now is that I want to best accomplish the work that God has for me.  If I were to say that I wanted to most quickly accomplish this goal, I could get down to Mexico a lot more quickly.

In truth, I have the money where I could go down there right if I really wanted to.  But what would I accomplish after I got down there?  How effective would I be?  What work would actually get done?  The way I look at it, if I prepare now, then I will be much more effective later.

And so I say to you: don't be afraid to prepare now.  Don't be afraid to invest in your future.  Don't be afraid to become the best you can be so that when you do step out you are equipped and ready for the work that God has for you.

I will see you all tomorrow for more adventures.  I have pictures and stories to tell you from the fair last week.  It was so much fun.  Don't miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment