Monday, June 25, 2012

What Was I Created to Do?


What a horribly provocative question.  It’s one that is very difficult to ask yourself, and it’s one that is even more difficult to answer.  Often times, people do not have the courage to ask this question of themselves.  It is just so much easier to just go through life one day at a time; each day not too different from the previous, and before you know it weeks have gone by—or months or years—and nothing substantial has been accomplished.

But every once in a while someone will stop and ask themselves this question: “What was I created to do?”  Sometimes this self examination will be initiated by another person, sometimes by life circumstance, sometimes by sheer boredom, and sometimes by reading challenging.  For me, it was a mix of all of the above.  I was two years out of college, and 24-years-old.  I was working at a Civil Engineering EIT, and making about $50,000/year.  And I was incredibly bored.  I had pursed this path to do the responsible thing.  I dated the same girl for five years, and I figured that is was what I should do to be a good provider.  Well, at this point she was two years out of the picture, I had spent all my money on toys, games, and nonsense, and I was at a point of decision.

I knew that I was created to do something great with my life.  I knew that there was more than I my current situation and surroundings.  I knew that this was not all that God had for me….  But what?  What was I to do?  What was the path?  What was the destination?  And most importantly, what was the first step?

These are all questions that I had to answer for myself, as I am sure that some of you have to answer for yourselves.  For now though, I just want to leave you with that question: “What was I created to do?”  As this blog continues, I will start to share with you what I believe the answer is for my own life, and as you read, I hope that you also will be able to answer that question yourself.  Obviously, due to the title of the blog, Mexico is tied into that answer, and in the coming weeks and months I will relate that to you, but for now let me just say that for me, this was truly the first step: having the courage to ask this question.  I am hoping that in between today and tomorrow you will join with me and ask it of yourself.  Before you go back to working, or back to the kids, or back to homework, or back to… normal life, have the courage to…

Stop….

Have the courage to stop and ask yourself this question: “What was I created to do with my life?”  I can tell you from experience, this is not an easy thing to do.  It takes courage.  It takes strength.  And on the road of life, it may lead you on a harder road.  Your road may become narrower, less travelled, full of bumps and obstacles.  But in the end it is worth it.  In the end you will be grateful you made this choice.  In the end you will experience true satisfaction as you see yourself start to do all that you were created to do.

Tuesdays, on this blog, Matt’s Mexican Adventure, are going to be dedicated to sharing with you someone who is vital to this project, someone who in some way contributed to the overall success of what is going on.  And so I am very excited to share with you the person I have in mind for tomorrow.  Don’t miss it!! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement buddy! That's the idea. I plan on blogging 5 days a week for now.

    ReplyDelete